Have you got a gap between more expenses going out than cash flow coming in each month?
Or, you’d like to really know what smart people do to turn up the cash flow so its way over and above what goes out each month?
YES? Well if I may ask you if you’re a director type who is the owner of the business, or a company director or director or manager of sales? You’re a person who has the drive to achieve and succeed and make the business work and make sales, and if you have them, get your team selling. Selling products, packages, services, and really making sure you enroll clients and customers and get an agreement, be given money and sell consistently!
Or are you a person who wants to be better at sales or maybe even needs to be better or you could lose your job.
But all of the above and just the thought of selling and sales makes you sick to your stomach. You hate presenting, standing out and asking for money?
Where am I going with this line of questioning? Well, it may just be because of who you are as Mother Nature intended you to be, and the ways you’re built to bring value to this planet in your own unique style and way.
Let me give you an example. You’re the owner of a beauty salon and you want your ladies who do treatments to sell all clients into packages and get them to rebook and do follow up calls.
And as you experience, left to their own devices, without you pushing them to do it, they just don’t do it. They are also very capable of sharing with you that selling is just something that they don’t like doing!
Because of this, you as the business owner or manager, get very frustrated with why they just won’t do it, which you can do so easily and even with a sense of excitement and passion.
Which I call the money gap in business, this is the gap between what you and you need people to do to bring sales and money into the business and the gap between the qualities they need to poses. However, in too many cases for me to count, they don’t, because of how they are built, naturally!
This money gap, between how the director or sales manager is built, which is to grow the empire, to push, to succeed and achieve. And then the ladies who are supporter nurturer styles who are built to take care of people to nurture them and provide them with beauty treatments and service.
Not (in their mind) to ram products down their throats and be so bold to call them up and get them to rebook and check how their treatments when.
Here we have the classic case of a racing car driver trying to get his mechanic to get in the car and drive really fast and go win races. It could happen, but probably not very successfully and in many cases, not at all!
The money gap is why many business owners can go crazy and why many businesses don’t perform as well as they can or even fail. Which comes down to having the right style of people in the right roles for them, or in many cases is just knowing who’s who in the zoo and managing, training and leading them in ways that have them be more skilled and able to sell with more success.
To help illustrate what I’m talking about here, I like to refer and use the DiSC profiling model which depicts the different styles we are all naturally born with and it’s how our life shows up by how we live and work and the way we provide our services.
Here you can see where we have a beauty salon director at one end of the disc (top left) and the beauty treatment ladies at the other end. (bottom right)
The money gap is the gap between one style being able to embrace and fulfill on asking and collecting money and the other not wanting to or liking the thought and feelings that come with asking and collecting money.
DiSC Behaviour Model
From what you can see in this DiSC diagram is what could be affecting your ability to be either having yourself achieve the sales goals and targets that would have your business be highly successful. And have your team working to succeed or not succeed in the area of business development and sales.
Having less and effective people in roles that entail the very important ability to sell products and services.
If this is the case, what can you do to bridge the money gap between what needs to be achieved in sales and results and the people in roles that need to achieve these results?
Here is a list of actions you can take:
- If you’re a director or cautious style, go to the mirror and have a good talk to yourself. And get focused on being more patient and empathetic to others and maybe consider that you’re not always right.
- The profile you and your team to determine what type of style you all are.
- If possible, move the people that are not suited to sell to a more appropriate position where they can succeed.
- Train yourself and if you have a team, train, train and keep training and focused on your skills of highly effective sales abilities.
- Be supportive and praise yourself and your team for work well done, no matter how small it may seem.
- If you don’t like doing this, find a way to do it, hire someone (an influencer style) or potentially stay frustrated, confused and even go broke.
- Reframe your beliefs around sales and effective customer services approaches, as we have discussed in this book.
- Take care to plan your days and your team theirs on the sales targets required and focus on important actions that will bring sales results and track and measure results with an intention to improve and achieve them.
Over To You Now
My personal view on this area of improving business sales and results through high awareness of ourselves and our teams that affect the results in our businesses has been life-changing for me.
When I got this, it brought to surface why I hate doing some things and love doing other things and that this goes for everyone and makes all of us perfect.
I’m not saying we don’t need to do what we hate doing at times, however being aware of who we are, and our natural styles achieve several very important goals.
Benefits of knowing your style
- It makes us much more effective leaders and managers
- It allows us to focus on our strengths and work towards doing what we are naturally good at.
- It allows us to be more patient and understanding of ourselves and stops us thinking that we are failing because we are not like others, who are built differently.
- It allows us to better manage ourselves when having to do those things we don’t like.
- You and your team are much more satisfied and fulfilled in their day to day work and best of all, you make MORE MONEY!
As an example, I don’t really like putting presentations together as I’m a high influencer style. And because of this I know just focus on getting it done 1 step at a time, doing a little bit every day instead of in one hit! And really… just sucking it up and doing it.
Because it’s hard for me emotionally, I get bored and frustrated and find myself wanting to go eat and do other things. So, breaking it up into smaller time slots helps me get through to get the job done. Get me meaning?
Knowing what your natural style is and focusing on moving into these places of natural ability if done, can be the most rewarding decision in life you can ever make.
If you are in the wrong place of work and contribution for your style and don’t make the change, it can also be the most depressing and debility decision your make, which is what kills so many people in spirit and happiness and joy.
I hope you are in your ideal place or have the courage to make the changes needed and stick to it until you are where you are meant to be.
Ok, let’s take a deep breath and continue on this exciting journey together.
To your success in filling the monkey gap!